ABOUT CHARLESWOOD HISTORICAL SOCIETY
About Charleswood Historical Society!
The Charleswood Historical Society (C.H.S.) was formed in 1974 to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Winnipeg.
The mandate of the Charleswood Historical Society is two-fold:
1 To promote and encourage interest in, and to study and compile a history of that portion of the City of Winnipeg in the Province of Manitoba, formerly known as the R.M. of Charleswood.
2 To acquire and collect by gift, purchase or otherwise, and to maintain artifacts, memorabilia, articles, mementos, and items of historical interest and significance relating to the former R.M. of Charleswood.
In September 1975, the CHS held a tea to honor 45 long time residents who had settled in Charleswood prior to 1920, and who continued to reside there. Since 1976, the Annual Pioneer Dinner, held in October, honors residents who have continuously lived in the community for 50 years with a complementary dinner and a framed parchment. Other honorees have included former school teachers and early residents who no longer reside in the community. From the honorees, the society submits the names of pioneer families and individuals of Charleswood to Park and Street Name Reserve Lists with the City of Winnipeg. The CHS has been active in naming over 25 park areas in Charleswood, with signage and plaques honoring those who lived in Charleswood.
Past-president Len Van Roon Sr has copied over 500 photographs of early Charleswood, on loan from the collections and family albums of local residents. A visual history of Charleswood, assembled in slide form, is available to show in local school programs, and to senior citizen groups among others. The CHS conducts an active and oral history program, recording the reminiscences of many of our “old-timer’s” early life in Charleswood. Many of these oral histories are on file with the Assiniboine South School Division for use by local students.